Mosquito Bite Relief
Mosquitoes are probably the most common, and for many, the most annoying insect bite in the spring and summer.
How To get Rid Of Mosquito Bites?
The usual reaction is a local skin inflammation that is red, raised and very itchy. If your child scratches the bite, it may become infected as well. Here’s what you can do for your children to help ease the itch and pain caused by mosquito bites.
Mosquito Bite Remedy:
- Apply anti-itch creams, like Calamine, as needed to help prevent scratching.
- Use anti-inflammatory creams like cortisone cream to help ease the inflammation and itching.
- If there is severe itching and multiple bug bites use antihistamines like Benadryl. Because they tend to make children drowsy, they work particularly well at night.
- Antihistamines like Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec tend to be much less sedating, but check with your pediatrician about the correct dosage and whether these products are safe for children.
- Keep your child’s fingernails cut short to prevent scratching.
- Apply a cold wet compress to the area to ease discomfort.
- Have your child wear long pants and long sleeves (if the temperature is bearable).
- Make sure window screens are used if you keep windows open in your home.
- Use insect repellent to help prevent bites from occurring.
Choosing an Insect Repellent
DEET is the best insect repellent in terms of effectiveness against flies, gnats, chiggers, ticks, and other insects. The higher the DEET concentration the better it works. For children, however, the EPA recommends a concentration of 10 percent or less to prevent side effects and toxicity.
Buzz Kill Pest Control provides Mosquito Control and Mosquito Misting Systems; we have an exterminator ready to for any pest, insect or termite you need removed. Get in touch with us today for more information!