As Spring has arrived and the weather continues to warm, creepy crawlies begin to emerge. Unfortunately, Spring is prime termite season. They use this time of year to mate and establish new colonies, leaving millions of homeowners across the United States and the rest of the world susceptible to termite damage.
Termites cause billions of dollars in damage to homes and businesses each year, and homeowners need to be proactive in order to protect their property.
Many homeowners are not even aware that they have a termite problem until it’s too late. By the time the damage is done, it can be incredibly costly to repair.
This guide was created to teach homeowners everything they need to know about termites, including how to identify an infestation and what termite control treatments are available. It will also discuss how they can protect their home from future infestations.
What Are Some Signs of a Termite Infestation?
The first step to termite control is being aware of the signs of a termite infestation.
Termites can cause a lot of damage to your home, but it’s not always easy to know when you have a termite infestation. They are sneaky and can cause a lot of damage before you even realize you have a problem.
If you think you may have a termite infestation, it’s important to call an exterminator as soon as possible.
Signs of a termite infestation include:
- Mud tubes on the exterior of your home.
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Swarms of winged insects near your home.
Termite Prevention Tips for Homeowners
- Eliminate or try to reduce any moisture in and around your home/property.
- Repair leaking faucets, water pipes, and exterior AC units immediately.
- Repair rotting roof shingles and other rotting parts on your property.
- Replace weather-stripping around windows and basement foundation.
- Properly divert water away from the property through downspouts and gutters.
- Remove any brush or heavy growth around your home.
- Ensure the structure is adequately ventilated, including the attic and internal crawl spaces.
- Routine inspections for signs of termite infestations (mud tubes, bubbling paint and wood that might open when tapped).
- Store firewood away from your property.
- Consider scheduling a professional inspection from a pest control company at least once a year.
What Should Homeowners Do If They Discover a Termite Infestation?
The most important thing homeowners should do after discovering a termite infestation is to contact a licensed pest professional.
Many homeowners rush to repair the damage first, but eliminating the cause should be every homeowner’s first priority on their to-do list.
Your local pest control company will be able to inspect your property and will be able to offer services to actively eliminate the infestation problem you are facing as well as offer efficient preventatives to prevent the infestation from occurring again.
After the infestation has been eliminated and you have established preventative measures for more possible termite infestations, existing damage should be repaired.
Have a Termite Problem? Contact Buzz Kill Pest Control Today!
Buzz Kill Pest Control technicians know how to manage any termite problem. They have been providing termite pest control services in the Dallas-Fort Worth area since 2008. With locations spread over the metropolitan, Buzz Kill can take care of your termite problem no matter where you live or work.
Their treatment options can handle termites and more common pests. Should you have any questions about their termite extermination services, pest control plans, or are worried that you might have a termite infestation, don’t wait. Call Buzz Kill Pest Control today for a free inspection and estimate.
Relevant Key Terms:
- Termite Control Fort Worth TX
- Pest Control Fort Worth TX
- Exterminator Fort Worth TX
- Termite Exterminator Fort Worth TX
- Termite Removal Fort Worth TX